Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Argumentative

I hesitate to write about issues with the Pop as this blog could devolve further into abject boredom (oh yes, that's still possible), but when the itch won't fade you must scratch. He was testy today for the first time since the move. I'm not sure what set him off; I've never known that, but maybe I'll finally learn, and there're always the theorizing, but I'll leave that for another day .

He's never liked that we use the side door as the main entrance. He bears a fondness for small foyers. Sans jest, he has good points. Foyers lead to the parlor on one side and the dining room on the other. You entertain the guests, and you feed the guests.

We currently lack that setup for several reasons. Reason one, we inherited this arrangement. When we bought the house the previous owners never used that entrance and the bushes were so overgrown that you couldn't get near it lacking a machete. Two, the living room is narrow and long, fine for a media room but crap for conversation. Three, the family room is the right shape, square, sports a lovely fireplace and best of all a wood lined cathedral ceiling. All of our guests have gone gaga over that room, and it's still Amanda's and my favorite in the house. And finally, the side entrance sits right off the driveway, winning points for convenience.

I'm heavily paraphrasing here, but these are my father's responses to the above: 1) too bad 2) you can rearrange the furniture to make that work 3) if I tell my guests that we're going into the living room I don't give a good goddamn if they're having an orgasm over that cathedral ceiling and 4) fuck 'em.

I love and respect my father, but I think I'm better at entertaining than he.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home