Thursday, August 31, 2006

They're Here!

It’s way too late but I needed to say that the folks closed on the sale of their house in the morning and began their residence at 18 Stepping Stone Road today ... er, yesterday if you’re looking at the date this got posted.  They arrived in good spirits, which was a relief as I was wondering if they’d feel bereft of place being away from Bristol.  Even though we’re talking about Bristol, that crust of Northern Jersey that somehow wound up in CT, it’s where they lived for decades.  The house they sold today they occupied for twenty-two years, so I was expecting forlorn faces, but they were jovial and jubilant.  It was nice.  

I’m not sure how hard this transition will be.  I know that today it felt slightly strange to me that, where in college days it was I who would return to my parents’ house, they were coming home to mine.  

I’ve no doubt that this was the right thing to do.  I just hope we can all adjust quickly and live together peacefully.

It just occurred to me that line could be read the way it sounded in “Poltergeist,” though that’s really not how I meant it.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home