Saturday, August 05, 2006

Adventure Dream

I had a great dream three nights ago, not the typical adventure dream; this one felt more like a video game.

I think it was my brother Steve who first called them "adventure dreams," those sleeping fantasies in which you're a super hero or a super spy. Steve was lucky enough to have lucid adventure dreams, so he got to be The Human Torch and make his own fun. Fly around Manhattan defeating megavillains while being in full control of the script. Nice work when you can get it. The closest I ever got to a lucid dream was in the Matrix and I got to beat the Jump Test.

My adventure dreams, in contrast with my brother's, involve some minor mystery and action, but nothing cooler than that, but this particular dream had a bit more. It started with Mom being missing, and a few clues leading to an elementary school. Amanda joined me on the hunt, another unusual element that felt very coop, and we found a labyrinth of weird industrial rooms beneath, sub-basement under sub-basement, until, after mucking through one especially dark and dank rusted out room, we looked through a grate and found a squeaky clean hospital floor.

A couple grates later and we'd found some uniforms, and we were walking around what appeared to be a working hospital, one whose windows showed us at least ten stories above the ground. Amanda, knowing how to act like a nurse since she is one, played her part perfectly. I, on the other hand, started making too many mistakes for my comfort. In either a moment of wisdom or a fit of panic I hid in a side room, only to see my mother walk by. I followed her to her room and started to formulate a getaway plan. Unfortunately, it's about here that Gabriel woke me up.

Maybe this dream will recur and I'll get to learn why they wanted Mom in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home