Wednesday, July 19, 2006

WW III ... Or IV ... Maybe V

Remember all those increases in the terror alert level before the 2004 Presidential election?  Have any happened since?  Well, we’ve got another election coming in America and it appears that the Right wing scare machine is cranking up.  According to those pundits at Fox News, we’re in the midst of a World War; they’re just not sure which number it is.  

Now, I’m showing my age here, but I vividly remember living in the shadow of a nuclear holocaust, and I’m neither vaporized nor breathing in fallout, so I’m betting that the big red button hasn’t been pressed just yet.  

What’s going on in Lebanon stands as a terrible tragedy, and one that I don’t wish to minimize, and I pray the week old conflict there will end very soon, and to manipulate that tragedy for political purposes (and ratings) sickens me.  What will the paranoia-mongers peddle next?  An alien invasion?  I can see the Fox News ticker now, “Terrible invasion from the stars continues.  Analysts say science-loving liberals expected to be soft on marauding space-aliens.  President ‘resolved and ready’ appearing before cameras wearing a space suit.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home