Thursday, June 22, 2006

Once Bitten Then Repeatedly Bitten

I really need to get some sleep. I've caught yet another one of Gabe's colds, though it's been a while since I've had one.

Speaking of Gabe, he got bitten again today, and it wasn't the usual culprit because that child moved to another day care center. According to his teachers, he gets bitten by other toddlers far more often then any other. The numbers don't look like coincidence. He's provoking them somehow. The teachers also mentioned that he's not speaking as well as others his age. He might be taking toys from them because he hasn't learned to ask for them (They agree that Gabe is far from the bully type).

Immediately I felt like Julian's parents in DS9 when they tried to explain why they had little Jules genetically enhanced. Did we do something wrong? Did we pass on some kind of defect? We've always read to him every night, and he loves it. He's a very happy baby.

I know that it's far too early to jump to conclusions, but now I'm a parent and I know exactly how Julian's mother felt. Maybe I've done something wrong, and that thought chills me. Parents, like Julian's, often leap to extremes, but we just want what's best for our children. You don't feel the weight of it until you have them, but once you do you can't escape the belief that everything that happens to them is your fault.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home