Friday, June 16, 2006

All They Could Say Was "She Was Up a Tree"

I think if I do much more maxscripting I'm likely to go blind. It's not the fault of the language. Maxscript fulfills the greatest criterion of a good scripting language; it's relatively quick and easy to create some useful in it. I'm just getting tired of it because the requirement and UI for the scripted material plugin that I've been creating keep changing (across all rollouts). Moving UI items around and wiring them up makes for tedious work. I wish we had an intern right now.

Anyhow, I've disappointed in the press that the South Central farmers have received. Two shows that I love, The Daily Show and Countdown just made light of the fact that Daryl Hannah was treesitting when the cops stormed the farm, and neither ABC News nor The News Hour covered it at all.

Call me a tree-hugging hippie (I actually hugged a tree once in Battery Park, but that's another story), but this story deserves serious attention, and much more of it. The South Central Farm has fed 350 families for over a decade, families who worked that land themselves with no help from the city or state. Everything the farmers did they did for themselves, including wheelbarrowing out the broken pieces of factory foundation that used to litter the site. They took a blighted area and made an oasis out of it, keeping themselves off government food assistance at the same time. No food stamps, no orange cheese. And within that fourteen acres, they got something for free, a community center that gave their elderly a place to sit or garden in the shade and their children a space to run and play among the walnut and banana trees.

The South Central Farm should be a model for urban areas across this country and the globe, not the site of another warehouse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home