Monday, April 07, 2008

Twice Lucid Dreaming

I just woke from a couple of lucid dreams, but not the type where you sound your barbaric yawp and fly around the skyline. In these I recognized my authorial role, and even had a conversation with a character about it.

In the first of the two, I'd imagined the girlfriend of a young male sea-captain, her looks a blend of Gina Torres and a few other actresses. She was beautiful and suddenly I wasn't a third-person camera any more; I was in the scene and I spoke to her my wish that I could record her image because I had dreamed her to life and she was beautiful. She sat and we spoke for a few minutes about the fact that our dreams provide us the most accessible, fluid and powerful palette for creation but there's no record save our memories, which are notoriously untrustworthy when the subject is dreams. And here's the kicker ... we spoke like father and daughter. I felt as though I were visiting one of my grown children and when I left the apartment she shared with the young captain I felt the sadness of a father leaving his child.

In the second dream I began as some character from Valve's Half-Life series, but I was sitting in a cubicle in their office in Seattle learning the origin of my/the character's from one of their writers. He mentioned the influence that another co-worker had on it and called over to her, and this woman pushed her swivel chair half out of her cube to join in the reminiscing. And while the two of them chatted, I realized my authority and thought how fun it would be if Valve recreated this office with themselves in it in game, the ultimate Easter egg where their character could come home and interact with those that made her. From that point I stood and began exploring the office and then creating dark scenarios in it that would fit some Combine conspiracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home