Thursday, March 27, 2008

Singing That Same Tune

So I'm back to using Opera. Both Firefox and Seamonkey were too sluggish, though my test page wasn't a good reflection of that, and Opera seems to have better options for the XO's form factor.

My test page was Blogger's composition screen, and I think I've got a good guess and to why it dragged such that my typing was a good half-sentence ahead of the cursor. Back in the day, its autosave feature worked off a timer and every few seconds Blogger would save your work, but that later changed to what appears to be an autosave that triggers after each keystroke, presumably sending a post of the entire contents back to the server (but maybe it takes a delta). No matter what browser I tried they all ate dirt on that page, so I'm writing this in Abiword and I'll copy it over.

The better test was CNN where you've got plenty of images and text in a pretty narrow page, and here Opera not only loaded faster than Firefox or Seamonkey but its zoom features really won me over. Instead of simply scaling the font size, Opera scales the entire page, images and all. It's much faster and looks better too. I'm seriously going to miss my FF extensions, but who knows? I've heard that FF3 scales the entire page and maybe it will have some speedups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home