Monday, December 11, 2006

Garret Everett

Here's the first of the characters I created for the Marvel Universe session for Games Day. I'm happy with how they turned out.


Garret Everett
I don’t talk much. It ain’t that I’m not listening. I listen pretty good. I try to listen a lot more now.
We used to live in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Dad was stationed at Fort Bragg, and Mom stayed nearby after the divorce. She said it was important that Dad still be close by, even though we wouldn’t see him much since he went to Iraq.
We got a house, and that was nice. Mom worked real hard to save up for that house. It was better than living in the apartment. We had a backyard and everything. Me and Abby would practice her karate. I wanted to go to class with her, but Mom said we didn’t have the money for me to go too. It was ok because Abby would teach me.
Abby said that the most important thing about karate was that you were supposed to walk away from a fight. I don’t think she really believed that. Colby gets mad sometimes, and you got to do a lot to Colby to get him mad, because Abby doesn't do like she’s told. But I kinda felt like since I couldn’t go to the class that I should try to listen extra hard, so I believed it.
One day after school Dave Soucey kept starting on me. I told him to cut it out and he kept going. So I told him to stop, and he didn't. He said something about Mom and Dad, and I guess I was pretty mad by then.  I shoved him. He kinda went flying, and I don’t remember what he said when he got up. I just walked away. It didn’t get then that I was real strong. When I was walking home I picked up a rock. I used to throw them but Colby got real mad at me once for that, so I just squeezed it. It broke into little pieces. Like dust. But even then I didn’t figure it out.
The next day Dave Soucey wasn’t in school, and somebody said he was hurt bad. After I pushed him he didn't look hurt. But people started saying it was me. The other kids started looking at me funny. Then teachers and people in church were giving Mom looks. Dave Soucey’s parents went to our church too.
Two weeks later, Colby woke me up in the middle of the night because there was smoke in the house. The police said it was arson.
Then I figured it out.
Mom said we’d move up North. She tried to say that Fayetteville was getting too crowded. We’d like the country, she said, but I figured that out too. It wasn’t because of those things. It was because I was a mutant. Mom still doesn't know that Abby and Colby are too. I ain’t gonna tell her. I don’t talk a lot. I try to listen more now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home