Sunday, May 14, 2006

When It Rains

We all know about it pouring, but the part where the refrigerator dies was new to me.

It's been raining for about a week solid here, and I mean that without exaggeration. There may have been times where it slowed to a drizzle, but the clouds haven't let up. Amanda got home from the night shift about 7:30 this morning and she warned me that there was quite a bit of flooding on the roads, so I checked WMUR for closings and there were none.

I'd noticed that there was a lot of water in the freezer section last night and was hoping that some selection from Swanson had kept the door slightly ajar, so after leaving the laptop I checked and it was all thaw there, and the stuff in the fridge felt warm.

I got the kids ready for church and headed our early. I knew that Case Road would be a mud slide so I took a right onto Mill Pond and was greeted warmly by the "Road Closed" sign. That's one out of three routes down. After I turned around I headed further down 125 and took the right onto Kelsey. After a minute, there was a "High Water" sign, so I slowly pressed ahead ... and then I saw how high the water was. One route to go. Turn around again, back down 125 to 152, the main artery for Nottingham. If this is closed, it's bad. As I'm driving down I'm wondering if the North River crosses, and in a couple of minutes I get my answer. The North River isn't big or fast flowing. It's one of those streams that you see guys fly fishing in, just like on the cover of "Guys Fly Fishing In a Stream" magazine. With water rushing nearly to the underside of the bridge, here's hoping the fish will be able to find there way back someday. We made it over and got to church.

Pastor Pat made it, Gary and Valerie, Don, and a couple of other folks whose names I don't know. Jill arrived later, having also been forced to turn back a couple of times. The service went well, and my Ave Maria was pretty tight. I was right to give the pipes a rest last night. Just before I got up to sing, I noticed a ladybug walking on the back of the pew right in front of me. Thanks, Muder, and Happy Mother's Day. We got home by the same route, though I hear it was closed a few hours afterwards.

So back home with a dead fridge. When life gives you lemons, make mimosas because that orange juice isn't going to last, and it goes well with the Eggs Benedict.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home