Thursday, February 07, 2008

Good Morning

I've got about a dozen tabs open in FireFox right now. I normally have half that, but I keep tabs open to remind myself of things to write about; those things usually piss me off, which is why, but I didn't want to go there today, to the anger place.

I had a good morning. After dropping Gabe off and finishing the food run (and all of a sudden we're picking up fresh produce now) I was driving home on McCrillis, and it's snowing pretty hard, and after the bend where the road crosses over the North River I spy a small white dog. Little poodle looking thing, not more than fifteen pounds, if that. I stop. It's wearing a blue walking harness but no collar and no tags, and it's wandering. It's friendly but doesn't know where to go or whether to really trust me. It lets me pick it up and put in in the Rav. I crank up the heat and drive to a series of nearly houses, knocking on doors hoping to find somebody home who might know where this dog belongs. Nobody's home but I finally get somebody who is, a heavyset guy with no shirt on, his two dogs pawing at me like I came to play. He's a nice guy and he invites me in. His wife doesn't make eye contact. He doesn't recognize the dog inside my vehicle, but he tries calling the animal control officer. His two have gotten away and the animal control officer has reunited the pack. He can't get the guy on the phone so he recommends I try the cops.

So the little dog and I drive back to Town Hall. The dog is scared but seems happy to know that I give a damn. I pick her up, if she was a she, and the doors to the police office are locked. I guess if you want them you have to call. I carry her down to the town office because the folks there know, at least, that I'm the guy who delivers food to the Pantry, and one of the guys there gets Tim, the animal control officer, on the line. He arrives a few minutes later with an easy manner and big smiles for her and I hand her over.

Five minutes later I'm driving down McCrillis well past where I found her and there's a minivan parked on the side of the road, a woman looking frantically at the river. I stop and ask if she's lost a dog, and she has -- a small white one -- so I tell her that I found her and that the animal control officer has her and she's ok. Her tears burst out and she drives off and so do I, giving thanks for that best possible ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home