Thursday, January 24, 2008

XO Donators Bellow Over Long Wait

On Monday I received an email from OLPC saying that my laptop shipment was queued up and that I'd receive another email on Wednesday with further info. I received an email Thursday morning at 2:34 a.m. saying that they were waiting for more inventory and would send me another update in "the next few days." I've been waiting since the end of last month, but this is a volunteer non-profit operation with ambitious goals.

A few seconds of googling will prove that people are receiving their laptops and this operation has received enough media attention to know it's not a scam, but I was surprised that some of the G1G1 donors think so. You can feel the flames from some posts several feet away. One donor even called her state's Attorney General's office.

Whoa, folks! I'm eagerly anticipating my XO and I'm disappointed by the delays, but easy on. This organization wasn't designed to handle retail-type delivery of laptops to individuals. It was designed to engineer a revolutionary learning tool for the children of developing nations and deliver those learning tools in bulk to those children. Quickly fulfilling online orders to individuals is a much different logistical operation than shipping hundreds of laptops to a school. There's ample proof on YouTube that G1G1 donors are receiving their laptops, so there's no scam here. Just be patient and, as Douglas Adams said, don't panic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home