Monday, January 14, 2008

Unexpected Directions

I spent some time mulling over how I was going to write my most recent story, probably because it had the most abstract theme I've attempted (though, now that I think of it, the first I wrote might be a contender). The irony here is that the unexpected featured largely in the final result, and this story, more than the others I've written recently, took the most unexpected turns. It started with one insistent line and avalanched into changing the entire tone.

But, what's maybe most unexpected for me, is that I was ok with that happening. It felt right, and I don't usually intuit anything aside from dialog when writing fiction. Maybe, and I'm really not sure about this, I'm starting to learn something valuable about writing and being a writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home