Thursday, January 26, 2006

Freewriting

I keep looking at the page, at my notes, and there’s lots of things to write about, but then I see the notice about Hector’s death and to quote the good Captain Malcolm Reynolds, “None of it means a damn thing.” Hector is dead, and that puts a damper on things. Of course, life must go on, so here I am doing some freewriting to get out what’s in my soul. I’ll likely be turning to the freewriting technique more frequently until I can return with focus to the topics that sit patiently (or not so) in my task list.

So freewriting, for those not familiar, is a writing technique that is like Drano for the mind. You set a time limit, and for the duration you write whatever is in your puny little head. Before doing this, I should have changed my IM status to “busy,” because I’m getting interrupted, but that’s what ALT+TAB is for. Anyway, you write whatever and you don’t edit, at least not substantially, and you absolutely do not stop writing. The point is to get the juices flowing and get whatever is deep down and blocking you up and out.

One thing that’s coming up for me (boy, sounds like I ate some bad tuna, doesn’t it?) is that Bioware’s search for new writers is almost over and I didn’t submit anything. I really want a writing credit, but I didn’t go for this contest of theirs, and interestingly I think I’m really ok with that. Even if I was selected, I’d almost certainly not get an offer making close to what I make now. Also, I’d have to move to Edmonton, and I’m not about to relocate. Amanda has to stay here for several more months so her student loan will be forgiven, and we have no desire to leave anyway. And then there’s what’s going on with Dad.

We visited the folks this past weekend, and Dad was limping badly and complaining about a pain in his hips. One MRI later, it turns out that Dad has a fractured pelvis, and how’d he do that, you ask? Just by getting out of a chair. He’s got osteoporosis, and he’s not getting any younger. Mom and Dad want us to live close to them, and Amanda and agree. We’d love to have them very near, and they need it. I’m looking out the window at my trees (funny to call them mine, but I think of it more like my friends, the trees, then my wood fiber property) and no I don’t want to move, so hopefully I won’t. Amanda and I need to get numbers on housing prices and taxes in NH compared to CT. Lots of homework to do, but I’m looking forward to it. I love my folks, and I’d love to have them close for their sakes and those of my kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home