Monday, February 19, 2007

Iterative

I tend to be iterative in my work. When I write, I edit as I go. Amanda's not at all like this. She writes a first draft in no time and it's nearly unintelligible. I spend hunks of time on it and get it pretty close to prime time.

I tend to code iteratively too. Normally, that's not a problem, but on days like the past few I have to stop and remind myself of an important lesson I learned long ago (so long I apparently forgot it): when each iteration takes a relatively long time, do everything you can to lower the number of iterations. Go "waterfall" for God's sake, and whatever you do don't fall into the "just after this one last change" trap.

Note to self: when you forget again in a few years, remember to come back and read this. You'll save yourself a lot of slow slogging frustration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home