Tuesday, August 23, 2005

A Little More on Willy

I'm in the office today so my style is slightly cramped (I normally work from home), but I'm doing a compile so I've got a minute.

Hazel, my three and-a-half year old, asked to see "the Willy Wonka movie" yesterday, so I broke open the DVD that Amanda bought last week and learned, to my surprise, that the script to the original film was written by Roald Dahl himself (with some script doctoring help ... his script had the film ending with Grandpa Joe yelling "Yippie!" so I'm glad he had people looking out for him). So, I can't buy the argument I've been hearing that the Tim Burton film is closer to the book. Authorial intent is pretty well cemeted in this case, making me wonder what Burton was thinking. The guy seems remake-happy. The original film holds up even better than I remembered, and Hazel seemed to enjoy it. I was afraid that she might succumb to that weird Oompa-Loompa fear that some kids get, but she seemed to like them once I explained that the boy who was stuck in the pipe was going to be alright. She's a sensitive girl, bless her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home